Sunday, November 7, 2021

A Middle Eastern Perspective on Loving Muslims Part 2

In the previous post, Brother Emad shared about a conference on church planting that revolutionized his mindset:

"A) Friendship Evangelism vs. Argumentative Apologetic Evangelism

Our speaker introduced us to a different approach to Muslims than I grew up witnessing: friendship evangelism. He recognized that Muslims are very hospitable and generous people. So he decided to invest in building relationships rather than confronting them. Though I knew all that about Muslims...I stayed far away from them. After the conference, I started to use every opportunity to invest in building relationships with Muslims. Now I invite Muslims to my own home, share a meal and care for them as newcomers to North America. Since I was once a newcomer, I know how to help settle them in Canada. Nothing brings joy and excitement to my life like meeting the needs of my Muslim friends and sharing Christ with them. 

B) Seeing Muslims from God’s Perspective

The second truth that helped me to move beyond my fear is seeing Muslims from God’s perspective as human beings created in His image. If someone asks: What is the difference between Muslims and us, I can say “nothing but God’s grace.” This is what Paul tells us in Ephesians 2:1-10 that we were ALL sinners and dead spiritually(vv. 1:1-3). Because of God’s grace we are saved (vv. 4-10). The fact therefore is that if someone does not know Jesus Christ as Savior, he or she is a sinner, regardless of how we label this person whether Muslim, Christian, Jew, etc. Muslims like the rest of God’s creation have fallen short of God’s glory and they need Christ. This biblical perspective of Muslims helped me tremendously to approach Muslims with compassion.

C) Evangelism is a Process

Instead of seeing evangelism as a one time event, I have learnt that evangelism is a process. I am just an instrument in God’s hand. I do not have to be the person who begins and ends the whole process. This means that my role, for example, may be breaking down the negative emotional barriers that Muslims may have towards Christianity. In other circumstances, I can be the person who leads a Muslim to Christ after many people have prayed and planted seeds in the life of this person. The bottom line is that we need to be faithful in whatever way God wants to use us.

Our North American Context

When I moved to North America, I realized that fear also controls the lives of many here...the media is sometimes driven by political agendas and presents a negative picture of Muslims. They are always associated to terrorism, particularly since the September 11th attacks in the USA. Such negative perspective has sadly created feelings of fear and hatred in the hearts of many and pushed them to see both Muslims and Islam as our enemies(those "evil" people who want to invade and take over the West) and consequently led them to avoid any contact with Muslims.

My prayer is that you replace the media perspective with the biblical one...that God will set you free from the grip of fear and help you to see Muslims as human beings created in the image of God who need Christ. May the Holy Spirit pour his love into our hearts so that we can love Muslims and conquer fear that keeps us apart."