Thursday, January 30, 2020

Pass It On!

“From one man he created all nations…His purpose in all of this was that the nations should seek after God and perhaps feel their way towards him and find him—though he is not far from any one of us.” Acts 17:26-27.

God shaped my colleague Harold to teach others to be faithful in sharing the Good News.

"In 1982 my wife and I said good-bye to comfortable teaching and nursing careers in Ontario to return to Africa. Over the next 12 years we were privileged to teach in two seminaries and mentor young men and women in mission – especially reaching out to Muslims.

Recently a friend phoned from Oklahoma; “I just returned from Africa where I spoke in a missionary conference to over 80 national workers. Their goal is to plant a church in every Muslim town and village in the north of the nation. One evangelist came up to me and asked, “Do you know any Canadian missionaries? A missionary from Canada taught me in seminary about how to engage Muslims with the love of Jesus. He even took us to Muslim villages on weekends to practice what we learned in class. I am putting into practice what he taught me and Muslims are coming to Christ!” “What is that missionary’s name?” I enquired. “Harold…”

I relate this story to emphasize the importance of passing the baton through training others. We can be used by God to launch whole Christ-ward movements, if we are faithful and are willing to release control to His Spirit, allowing the Word to come alive.

Today we continue to facilitate Disciple Making Movements training conferences across Canada as well as leading “Sharing Your Faith With Muslims” seminars in churches and small group settings. What we learned and put into practice in Africa many years ago, we are applying here in Canada. God has brought the nations to us!

Some Principles of Baton-Passing:
1. Disciple believers to grow in love and obedience to the commands of Christ.
2. Teach believers to not only witness as a lifestyle, but to speak boldly.
3. Be an Example – Be a practitioner yourself!
4. Trust the Holy Spirit to be the teacher as the Scriptures are opened to seekers after Truth.

On one of our journeys with students into a Muslim stronghold, we stopped by the kraal of the paramount chief of the area to ask for permission to show the Jesus film in the town market. When we arrived, we were informed that Chief Kalunda was too ill to meet us. I asked if we could pray for her. She agreed and two of my students and myself were ushered in to see her. We called on the Father to heal her in the name of Jesus.

On the return journey the next day, as we neared the kraal, I noticed a woman standing along the dusty road, waving us down. It was Chief Kalunda. She had been watching for us to let us know that Isa had healed her. She said, “From the moment you prayed, my body began to receive strength.” That was the beginning of a great move of God among these Muslim people that continues to this day. He is still in the saving business."

Yes, Lord Jesus, we rejoice that you are drawing men and women to become true seekers after God. Amen.