Thursday, February 9, 2017

Isolate or Engage?

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7.

"Do you believe this is the last generation before the return of Christ?" asked a visitor to our table at a large Missions conference. "It is possible...yes, it may be. There are many signs of apocalyptic proportion.", I answered. "Then you must get ready. Are you getting ready?", he continued. "Yes, I believe I am trying my best to prepare.", as I gestured with a sweeping motion over the banner with Muslims in front centre. "I want many of these to be in heaven with me!" "No, no...I mean, are you planning to move to an isolated place and invite your friends and family to come to a place of sanctuary? You know Jesus instructed the disciples to "flee to the mountains" in the scenario in Matthew 24.", he pressed on. "But sir, God has called me to tell these dear people about Jesus. That's what I want to be...busy with sharing the Good News if Jesus comes in my lifetime." He sighed and walked off. That was the gist of the conversation. His end time fixation got in the way of engagement with Muslims.

The news is shocking. "2015 continued to get worse for worldwide persecution of Christians, rising to "a level akin with ethnic cleansing,..." On top of the list is North Korea and Muslim majority countries."(Open Doors) There are basically no human rights for believers from Muslim background. 

"I am so afraid for my children and grandchildren when  I watch the news. Our world is a mess and Muslims seem to be getting stronger.", bemoaned a mid-aged woman. I agreed that things were really getting tough in the world and we too are praying especially for our grandchildren that they would remain strong in Jesus. Our sister broke down in tears as she dwelt on the grim reality of terrorism and rhetoric from the Middle East. These thoughts had taken over. I tried to reassure her that God is still God. "He is with us and will be with our grandchildren. Let's continue praying for our offspring."

I presented a workshop titled 'Middle East Events' Effect on Missions' at a Christian college this past week. A colleague, who ministered in Syria until it got dangerous for westerners, reported in the workshop that Syrian refugees who fled and settled on the border in Lebanon are responding to the love of Jesus, "We didn't see this kind of openness in Syria."

Western nations are welcoming Syrian refugees to their peaceful shores. Canada for example is bringing in 10,000 more Syrian refugees over the next 3 years. Our sovereign God is placing these at our doorsteps!!

My heart was warmed as I watched a local church welcome a Muslim Syrian family. They really loved on them. The family decided to move to another city. Just before they left 'Asif' requested to thank the church publicly.

I concluded my workshop at the College with "What If?" (click). The clip challenges us to engage with immigrants. Many of you readers are involved already. I believe God is pleased.

Lord Jesus, help me to effectively engage with Muslims you have brought here. Draw them to yourself through your Holy Spirit. Amen.