Friday, March 1, 2019

Manhood

"I am about to go the way of the earth. Be strong, and show yourself a man." 1 Kings 2:2.

We saw this man dragging a bunch of rocks on a beach in Toronto. Bystanders suggested that this must be a penance thing. "Nope", he laughed, "this is resistance training." Very macho. I love being a man. When I was young, I took risks my mother never knew about! But is this what manhood is all about?

After graduating with his PhD, Karim insisted that his wife address him 'Dr. Karim'. When she refused, the tensions already high in the home were ratcheted up a notch. His demands and expectations 24-7 became intolerable to her. That's what got them into a counsellor's office. Even though their's started out as a 'love' marriage, it soon was nothing but. In his mind being highly esteemed is an essential sign of manhood.

Nazir's family tried several times to arrange for his marriage. He considered all the options, left for his homeland and met the ones on the short list. But to no avail. Nazir is still looking for an educated Arab Muslim woman who is traditional(Eastern) in her view of honor and loyalty for her husband and her role in the home. Marrying someone who is confident and empowered would pose a threat to his sense of manhood.

Immigrant men are often shocked that the government deals directly with women on issues like child allowance. Perhaps for the first time in their lives, they have their own money. Women often get jobs easier than unskilled men. Men struggle with their sense of worth when their wife has more earning power. It is demoralizing to not realize the dream of thriving in a new land financially.

God made us male and female. And he has purpose and value for each. Many men are strong. Women may be weaker physically but have a nurturing nature and sensitivity. Someone said that "men would be brutes without women!" Maybe so. The bottom line is we complement each other. In the Bible, the bar for true 'manhood' is very high. A husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. Protection, provision, and care are part of this package. Men are to stand tall in the world.

It was well past midnight and it was raining cats and dogs. My family was sound asleep. I heard the thud of an outside padlock fall to the cement floor. I jumped out of bed and realized a thief had entered the house. By God's grace, I switched on the right light that flooded the area. He fled and I ran outside and yelled as loud as I could "There is a thief in the neighborhood." My heart was pounding wildly. I crawled back in bed and lay there quietly till the morning. I felt like a man, although a scared one!

When David was dying he admonished his son Solomon "Be a Man". That involved much more than being a strong commander-in-chief. David went beyond eastern or western stereotypes of male-hood. He admonished his son to be passionate about God. We could summarize David's charge: Be a man of faith, action and commitment.

Dear God, help me as a man to glorify you in how I use my strength and abilities. Amen.