Thursday, January 19, 2017

Stepping Forward

"For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News, so that you will be fully prepared." Ephesians 6:15

“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind", declared Neil Armstrong as he placed his left boot on the surface of the moon—way back in 1969. As a teenager I was glued to the TV. Armstrong literally had to dream, eat and sleep space and becoming an astronaut. He remained focused on this career path. A huge team prepared for this historic mission. God hand-picked Paul for a far greater Mission to be a pioneer missionary to Gentiles in Asia Minor. Good 'ole Barnabas came alongside of Paul until he was launched in ministry. When cash-flow was tight, Paul supported himself as a tent-maker. In the above verse, I don’t think he was referring to combat boots. After all, there have been effective ‘bare footed’ missionaries in developing countries over the years. It appears that it has to do with preparation of the heart to be in harmony with God and ready for action. Paul walked the talk. Even though his job description included Tent-maker, he was a Church Planter at heart. I think his workbench was also his ‘pulpit’. I love this marketplace stuff.


When we left for Pakistan for our assignment at Bach Christian Hospital, I had several skills in my ‘toolbox’. On the practical side, I had years of preparation on the farm where I learned the basics about farming, construction, welding, machine repairs, etc. which I later honed in subsequent jobs. I learned a lot of ‘mr. fixit’ skills. I even learned to fly, thinking that I was destined to become a Missionary Pilot. On the spiritual side, many people invested in my life. The list includes my parents who prayed for me, Sunday School teachers, and those who involved me in outreaches like teaching Vacation Bible School and Camp Counselor. To make a long story short, I graduated from Bible College in Theology, praying for the Lord’s will for my life. So, my heart was ripe to respond to God’s tap on the shoulder ‘go to Pakistan’.

Was all that preparation wasted after a decade in Pakistan and returning to home base? No, not at all. In fact, we think God was preparing us for a more effective ministry in the homeland. I had a better handle on cross-cultural communication and sharing Jesus with Muslims. I mastered another language. Now when I tutor a newcomer learning English, I can empathize with him and be more helpful. The East is very relational and I can appreciate the ministry of hospitality more fully. I understand the role of community to a greater extent. In evangelism, exploring a 'new community' is a huge thing for Muslim seekers considering the Christian faith. These are all new skills in my ‘toolbox’ and they've been put to work. God knew how to prepare me for ministry on both sides of the ocean.

The fact that you are reading this post, probably indicates you are interested in this subject. Good for you! If you are a follower of Jesus, you too are on a Mission similar to Paul...probably not in Asia Minor but in your 'backyard' or elsewhere. May God take your boots to the person of His choice to befriend and share God's wonderful news, peace with God through Jesus.

Dear Loving Father, Thank-you for wisely shaping us in order to be of service to you. Prepare and guide us in this ministry. Amen.