Thursday, January 26, 2017

What's in Your Hand?

"Then the Lord asked him, "What do you have in your hand?" "A shepherd's staff", Moses replied." Exodus 4:2

When God said "Go!", can't you just hear Moses object, "I can't do this!! Pharaoh won't believe me. I'm a lousy public speaker. Even the Israelites won't accept me." God answered with reassurance "I will be with you and empower you." Moses' simple shepherd's staff was one of the proofs.

I often have opportunities to use what is in my hand. In the early days of International student ministry, I advised students who were looking for their very first cars. Some bought 'beaters'. I remember crawling under the front end of a car with a significant engine oil leak. The student wanted to drive to California and back. I said, "I doubt it will make it both ways but if you add oil regularly, probably you can make it one way." At other times, I would ask my supervisor at the dealership for 15 minutes to use my hoist to check out a car that a student wanted to buy. On another occasion a Muslim friend from a well-to-do family moved into subsidized housing and the walls and doors looked drab and scruffy. So he asked me to teach him how to paint. He had never done any of this stuff himself.

Asif, his mother, and siblings arrived in Canada about a decade ago. After graduating from high school, he landed a decent job and was able to save up some money. Eventually he accumulated enough for a down payment on a small bungalow.  He proudly gave us a tour. It's old but solid. Just the week before he had trouble with the furnace and had to get that replaced. Ouch! He shared some of his renovation and improvement ideas and I suggested some of my own. It is most encouraging that he has taken a step forward and moved out of subsidized housing into his own place. We reassured him that this property has lots of potential and good value. At the end, he gladly accepted Joy's offer to pray a blessing on this home and on him.

My mind floated over to the hillside on the shores of the Sea of Galilee where a large crowd had collected around Jesus. He saw that they were famished. The disciples drew a blank what to do since it would take a small fortune to feed them all. Andrew found the young boy with 5 small loaves and 2 fish--just a drop in the bucket compared to the need. Can't you imagine what the boy told his mom when he got home? "I shared my lunch with 10,000 people." God used what he shared with others.

When we arrived in Pakistan, I prayed that God would use my hands. I'm not so eloquent or influential. But God not only used my handy hands but also allowed me to give leadership to people who needed a mentor. Many of you reading this are handy with your hands and perhaps growing in your ability to share spiritual truths too. Way to go! May God continue to use your skills.

Dear God, you creatively gifted each of us with unique abilities. Please send us to people to help where you get the glory. Amen.